Our courses offer a good compromise between the continuous assessment favoured by some universities and the emphasis placed on final exams by others.
The congregation of the Sisters of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was founded on 8th December 1908 at Champakulam near Changanassery, Kerala by the Servant of God Thomas Kurialassery, the first Bishop of Changanassery with the co-operation of its first member Mother Mary Chanthal. The seed of the Holy Eucharist which our founder sowed at Champakulam started to grow and flourish as a big tree first in Kerala and the world around. Besides the Eucharistic Apostolate we extend our services in the fields of education, healing, social welfare and missionary activities according to the need of the time and place. We participate in the healing ministry of the Eucharistic Lord in order to give healing to the whole person and thus to continue the redemptive work of the Lord in the present day.
The Mercy College of Nursing is attached to Mercy Hospital Pothy, Thalayolaparambu, Kottayam District, which was established in December 1973. The hospital aims at sharing the Lord’s Love through healing ministry. The Hospital is well equipped and managed by the Sisters of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, S.H.Province, Ernakulam.The integrated programme of General Nursing and Midwifery course started in the year 1996. In the year 2013 GNM programme is upgraded to B,Sc.Nursing programme.
The College of Nursing is affiliated to Kerala University of Health Sciences Trissur and recognized by Indian Nursing Council and Kerala Nurses and Midwives Council. The College has the infrastructure facilities and excellent learning situation. The students can acquire knowledge and skill in an atmosphere where they can avail it from various sources as they wish.
The philosophy of the College of Nursing is consistent with that of the hospital. The responsibility of the faculty is to impart formation to aspiring health professionals making them competent to provide the people of our country preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative services of health care upon scientific principles and on the model of the healing ministry of Jesus Christ. Thus they will be and enabled to apply their knowledge in their personal and professional life.
We believe in preparing the students not only in professional skills, but also in their attitude and character, upholding the dignity of the person with humaneness and compassion for patients and their family. The student is an adult responsible for his/her own study and has a right to be treated with dignity and respect. Therefore a stimulating and challenging environment with ample opportunities for study is provided in real life situations.
Mercy College of Nursing aims at seeing the Eucharistic Lord in the faces of the physically, mentally and spiritually wounded we gives them the compassionate touch of the Lord and led them to the joy of resurrection. College strives for the achievement of academic excellence by educating and training health professionals to recognize the health needs of the community and to carry out professional obligations equitably and ethically.
1. To provide opportunities which would enable the student to function as an effective individual.
2. To prepare a professional and technically skilled nurse competent to give comprehensive nursing care to the individual, family and community in sickness and health.
3. To acquire an exemplary steadfastness to principles and moral values so as to witness to a life of honesty and integrity.
4. To provide opportunities and experience, which would enable the student to develop and maintain effective interpersonal relationship with professional and non-professional personnel.
5. Develop a team spirit by working with other members of the health care team in the promotion of health, prevention of illness, restoration of health and allevation of suffering.
6. Demonstrative leadership qualities and decision making abilities in various nursing situations.
7. Demonstrative skill in excellent nursing care, teaching and supervising skill in the hospital and in community settings.